Monday, May 2, 2011

ARE YOU A LEADER?

 Standing Out From The Crowd by Petr Kratochvil

 “If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”

- John Quincy Adams

Are you a leader? When I ask people that question, I often receive strange looks and maybe a bit of stammering as they attempt to answer the question. Some people respond by stating their position or how many people they manage. But, really, I am not referring to a title or positional leadership. I’m referring to how they influence others.

I have the quote above by John Quincy Adams stenciled on my office wall at school. I use this as a reminder each day to focus my thoughts and my actions. If you narrow down Adams’ definition of leadership it is really all about influence.

How can you increase your influence on others? Do something…today!

  • Give someone an honest compliment…today!
  • Tell someone that you are proud of them…today!
  • Write a note to someone who has impacted your life and mail it (or email it)…today!
  • Call a family member…today!
  • Turn off the TV…today!
Go…do something and make a difference.

Leadership is a choice – not a position or a title!

Remember, if you help others dream, learn, do and become, then you are a leader.

QUESTION: What are others ideas for being a leader (influencer) today? Please post comments below.

No comments: