Friday, September 23, 2011

TODAY

"To awaken each morning with a smile brightening my face; to greet the day with reverence for the opportunities it contains; to approach my work with a clean mind; to hold ever before me, even in the doing of little things, the ultimate purpose toward which I am working; to meet men and women with laughter on my lips and love in my heart; to be gentle, kind, and courteous through all the hours; to approach the night with weariness that ever woos sleep and the joy that comes from work well done - this is how I desire to waste wisely my days."
~Thomas Dekker


Sunrise and the Boat by Henri Bergius


Late yesterday afternoon, I went for a walk in my neighborhood. My wife, Aimie, was at a school function so I was by myself. As I walked, this crazy sense of peace and excitement and joy and contentment (all at once) just washed over me.


The sky was blue with orange-tinted clouds. The air was slightly cool and the birds were chirping. I even saw the owl that I usually hear, but can never find.


I've talked about magic moments before, but that's what it was. It was just one of those moments that you hold onto and wish that it would not end.


Have you had a moment like that recently? It won't happen by sitting on the couch watching TV or reading Facebook or surfing the internet. It might happen when we open our heart to another person or go outside or take our mind off of ourself.


As you walk through today and the weekend, I want to challenge you to seek out those fleeting moments of joy that sometimes appear without a warning. Don't try to hold onto it too long - let it run its course. If we try to hold onto it too tightly, it will leave all the more quickly.


I recently came across the quote above. I need to write it down and keep it with me for a while. There is much truth about living each day contained in that quote.


Now...go, and live today fully. Embrace your story and live it for all it's worth.


May you "waste wisely" today.


QUESTION: I love the changing of seasons - it's a renewal of sorts. What is your favorite season?

No comments: